Leadership development and discipleship go hand in hand. A leader can not lead spiritually without growing as a disciple. And as a disciple grows in maturity, he or she will develop spiritual influence as a leader.
The leadership development process at New Life Church is designed to encourage leaders to take STEPS following Jesus, learning from our model leader, teacher, Lord and Savior and taking action empowered by the Holy Spirit. Development is fostered by encouraging leaders to engage in training, take part in leader gatherings, set next step goals and be accountable to one another.
If a leader has not been through Faithwalking, this is a natural next step. Faithwalking is an ongoing spiritual formation journey that helps you prepare to live a life of radical obedience to Jesus.
Three times a year (January, May, and September), all New Life Leaders meet to:
- Reinforce the church’s vision, mission, values and strategy
- Receive a teaching on leadership development
- Address key topics relevant to all leaders
- Develop and share next step goals
Jesus did not call us to build the church but to make disciples. As we do that, we trust Jesus who said, “I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” (Matthew 16:18). Our goal is to do our part, following Jesus on mission with radical obedience and trust God for the results.
Each leader sets their next step goal at our leader gatherings and reports out on their last goal at that time. Each leader sets next step goals in one or more of the discipleship measures:
- Serve “All the believers were together and had everything in common. They (gave) to anyone who had need.” (Acts 2:44, 45)
- Tell“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses…” (Acts 1:
- Eat“My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you… You are my friends if you do what I command.” (John 15:12, 14)
- Pray“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and self-discipline.” (2 Timothy 1:7)
- Study“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is…” (Romans 12:2)
We have developed a Compass Guide to help people assess where they are and take next steps following Jesus.
Leaders are encouraged and held accountable for their goals by other leaders. By definition, every leader will be leading others. We also encourage every leader to be led by someone so they can receive encouragement and accountability.